The National Archery in the Schools Program establishes NASP® Academic Archer program to promote and recognize academic excellence among 2.23 million NASP® student archers.
Since its inception in 2002, NASP® has been proven to be a powerful motivational force for millions of participating students. As an extension of the classroom, NASP® continues to demonstrate how in-school archery is a great way to engage students and help many of them become motivated to succeed academically…many for the first time! NASP® Academic Archer is intended to be another tool for today’s NASP® educators to use for student motivation. Continuous feedback data suggests that the excitement of being a part of their school’s NASP® team is a significant factor for enhancing student success wherever the program is implemented.
In November of 2015, National NASP® leadership and a group of NASP® educators and students met to discuss ways to further enhance the 15 year old program. One recommendation was to establish a uniform incentive and recognition format to recognize and promote academic achievement for participating NASP® students. The concept of a NASP® Academic Archer was recommended.
The status of being recognized nationally as a “NASP® Academic Archer” was discussed and the NASP® advisory recommended that the designation should involve the following:
• The NASP® Academic Archer program is an optional program, available only to participating NASP® schools – participation is a local decision and in accordance with existing local school policies.
• NASP® BAI certified teachers/coaches can enter eligible students into nasptournaments.org for Academic Archer status using their BAI number.
• All students that fully participate in an in-school NASP® archery class or participate on the archery team at a recognized NASP® school and meet local academic criteria for recognition, are eligible to be entered for Academic Archer status
• The Academic Archer program is independent from any/all forms of tournament participation.
• Each student that is entered/registered into nasptournaments.org as a NASP® Academic Archer, will be automatically registered for a chance to win 1 of 10 free Genesis bows and specially marked Easton arrows -which will be given away each year by NASP®. Names of winners will be announced at the national NASP® tournament.
• The NASP® advisory offered the following guidelines if no local school criteria exist for Academic Archer recognition:
o The Student should be/have been a full participant in their school’s “in-school” NASP® archery class during the time period where academic recognition and recommendation is considered.
o Academic Archers can also be members of the school archery team (if one exists) during the time period where academic recognition and recommendation is considered.
o The Student should have no D’s or F’s (or equivalent), in order to qualify as a NASP® Academic Archer.
o The designated Academic Archer should maintain a grade point average that establishes them well within existing school GPA criteria for high academic scholarship.
o When no school academic recognition criteria exists, the local NASP® coach should consult and collaborate with the school principal to establish such criteria, before designating students with Academic Archer status.
• Each Academic Archer may be provided with a certificate suitable for framing at the local NASP® banquet or school sponsored student academic recognition ceremony according to local practices. LINK TO TOOLKIT – http://naspschools.org/instructors/
• NASP® teachers/coaches can also designate eligible students for Academic Archer status when utilizing nasptournaments.org for any NASP® tournament – See nasptournaments.org for instructions regarding designating for NASP® Academic Archer status when registering.
• The NASP® advisory also suggested that an optional recognition symbol be established for participating NASP® Academic Archers. NASP® and our partner Electronic Awards have developed a low cost, iron-on shoulder patch that can be purchased by any school. To order the iron-on shoulder patches click here: LINK TO TOOLKIT –http://naspschools.org/instructors/ – Patches are inexpensive and can be purchased in bulk for team applications.
• Reminder – all decisions on designating students with Academic Archer status are local decisions and should involve collaboration between the NASP® educator and the principal of the school.
• Without existing school criteria, NASP® recommends that schools follow the recommendations of the NASP® advisory.
• National NASP® will support any/all local NASP® Academic Archer status designations and will recognize NASP® Academic Archer designees as a group at each flight of the NASP® National Tournament.
• NASP® will promote the Academic Archer program on the naspschools.org web site, social media and industry media outlets.
Please find the files associated with the NASP® Academic Archer program at the following toolkit link: LINK TO TOOLKIT = http://naspschools.org/instructors/
• Link to order patches
• Copy of the document above
• Links to downloadable PDF versions of the certificates
• Link to nasptournaments.org for coaches to enter their NASP® Academic Archers
For fifteen years, the National Archery in the Schools Program has positively impacted 14, 000,000 students. As an extension of the classroom, NASP® continues to be a highly engaging and motivating force with participating students.
For more information or if you would like to get involved with support for the NASP® Academic Archer program, please contact:
Dr. Tommy Floyd at:
Or find additional information at the NASP® website: http://naspschools.org